Over 80 years ago, Temple Beth El was a little room and a big dream. On June 4th, 1929, nineteen founders met to formulate the aims of a new Temple dedicated to the principles of the Conservative Movement, then developing in the United States.
Priorities and shortages during World War II made it necessary to wait until 1947 to break ground for a new Temple on 17th and Hamilton Streets. The first religious services were held in the unfinished building on Rosh Hashanah in 1949. The Temple grew again when the new Education Wing was dedicated in 1958.
Temple Beth El has continued to grow and thrive because of a committed membership who shares the determination of the founders. As we approached the new millennium, we found that we needed a new building to better serve our needs. As a result of the dedication of our entire congregation, 2006 marked a new era for the Temple Beth El family as we moved into our new home on Springhouse Road. Our new synagogue preserves our past by incorporating significant parts of our old building into our new facility.