Jewish Family Education
JEWISH FAMILY EDUCATION
Alyssa Pure - Jewish Family Educator
The Jewish Family Education committee has agreed upon the following goals for Jewish Family Education program at Temple Beth El:
- To enhance and enrich the Jewish and family life of every Jewish family, whatever its shape or current membership.
- To empower families to be more Jewish (in any of numerous possible ways) and to feel more competent to take charge of their own Jewish life as a family.
Jewish family education seeks to:
- Empower the family as an essential agency for Jewish learning.
- Strengthen the ability of family members to enhance the "Jewishness" of their homes.
- Support the family as a unit, no matter what the family composition.
- Connect Jewish families one to another.
Strategy for reaching these goals includes Jewish family education aiming to:
- Provide parents with the skills, information, props, and repertories for Jewish living.
- Emphasize doing rather than talking about Jewish behaviors.
- Offer access to a variety of paths leading to Jewish choices and commitments.
- Center activities around Jewish content and text.
- Take into account the complexities of family life.
- Stress the transference of the practice of Judaism from the institution to the home.
With all this in mind, we endeavor to offer several synagogue-wide programs throughout the year and programs for parents and children organized by grade level. These programs will be offered in conjunction with the religious school and will include families with children in the Jewish Day School of the same grade. We hope to build a greater cohesiveness within the Temple Beth El family as we learn and do together as families with other families.